SU Athletics

D.O. Sports’ 10-most newsworthy stories of the fall

Todd Michalek | Staff Photographer

Syracuse's upset of then-No. 2 Clemson was one of D.O. Sports' 10-most newsworthy stories this fall.

The Daily Orange has worked to keep you covered on all the biggest news in Syracuse sports this fall. From a major college football upset to two basketball player’s departures from the team. From an individual national title to the cancellation of a fall season due to mumps. From one of Jim Boeheim’s sons playing against him to the other committing to play for him.

We’ve been there with all the updates you needed all fall. As the semester comes to a close, here’s our list of the 10-most newsworthy Syracuse sports events from the past few months.

Behind ‘out of body experience,’ Justyn Knight wins NCAA individual title

111817_xcknight_schlesinger_ape_07

Paul Schlesinger | Asst. Photo Editor

Syracuse expected to compete for the men’s team title at the NCAA Championships in Louisville but only finished 13th. The day was not lost, though, as Justyn Knight won the national title individually. He had finished fourth two years ago and second last year. This year, he finished in front of everyone and in his last Syracuse cross country race was a national champion.

Syracuse pulls off monumental upset of No. 2 Clemson, 27-24

sufootball_toddmichalek_cp_25

Todd Michalek | Staff Photographer

Syracuse didn’t win a game after Oct. 13 this season. But on that day, the Orange pulled off what was perhaps the biggest upset of the college football season. SU will sit at home during bowl season while Clemson plays as the top seed in the College Football Playoff.

Seton Hall confirms transfer of Taurean Thompson

taurean

Taurean Thompson averaged 9.2 points per game as a freshman at Syracuse. He transferred to Seton Hall, though, and is now sitting out a year before he is eligible to play for the Pirates.

In NCAA-mandated interviews, SU athletes voiced advising concerns, dissatisfaction with facilities

090617_usen_saraschleicher_cp2

Sara Schleicher | Staff Photographer

A University Senate report compiling information from the NCAA-mandated interviews showed that some athletes felt forced into majors they didn’t want. All of the athletes’ comments included in the report were anonymous.

Citing “an abundance of caution,” Syracuse sits out Deyhontsigwa’ehs The Creator’s Game Lacrosse Weekend

hendrix_acctournament-221

Syracuse announced that at least one player had been diagnosed with the mumps when it withdrew from Deyhontsigwa’ehs The Creator’s Game Lacrosse Weekend. Eventually, both the men’s and women’s lacrosse teams at Syracuse canceled their fall seasons.

Geno Thorpe leaves Syracuse basketball

111817_mbb_toddmichalek_sp-15

Todd Michalek | Staff Photographer

After playing in six games for the Orange, Syracuse announced that Geno Thorpe was leaving the team due to personal reasons. Eventually, The Daily Orange spoke to Thorpe’s father and learned more.

3-star Buddy Boeheim officially commits to Syracuse

boeheim-12-reidsma-2

Jim Boeheim’s Class of 2018 became a lot more familiar to him on Sept. 8 when his younger son, Buddy, committed to the Orange. Buddy chose SU over Gonzaga and Massachusetts, among other schools. He had played for nearby Jamesville-DeWitt High School before spending his senior year at Brewster (New Hampshire) Academy.

Babers: Syracuse quarterback Dungey will be ‘ready to go’ against Wake Forest

colindavy_halftimefootball_13

Colin Davy | Staff Photographer

Eric Dungey had been injured in Syracuse’s loss to Florida State the week before SU took on Wake Forest. Leading up to that contest, Dino Babers said Dungey was “good to go.” But Dungey wouldn’t play again this fall and eventually had right-foot surgery.

Jimmy Boeheim plays first collegiate game against his father, Syracuse head coach Jim Boeheim

mbball_suvcornell_michalek_sp_27

Todd Michalek | Staff Photographer

Jimmy Boeheim, Jim Boeheim’s oldest son, made his collegiate debut for Cornell in the Carrier Dome. He even hit a 3-pointer on the first possession of the game. After the game, Jimmy said his dad told him: “I was close to having a good game.”

Gov. Andrew Cuomo, officials announce Syracuse Chiefs sale to New York Mets

101017_metscheifs_andrewgraham_ase

Andrew Graham | Asst. Sports Editor

The Community Baseball Club of Central New York had owned the Syracuse Chiefs. The Chiefs had been the Triple-A affiliate of the Washington Nationals. But at the end of the current agreement with the Nationals in 2018, the New York Mets will be the Chiefs’ new owner and major-league affiliate.