Week in Sports

Week in Sports: Shafer dismissed, two national champions and more

Bryan Cereijo | Staff Photographer

Syracuse head coach Scott Shafer was fired Monday. He will still coach the Orange when it plays Boston College in its final regular season game on Saturday.

SU head football coach Scott Shafer dismissed, will coach final game against Boston College

On Saturday, Syracuse lost its eighth straight game, the program’s longest losing streak since 2005, and SU head coach Scott Shafer received a 15-yard unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for the second consecutive week. On Monday, he was fired. He needed to be, argued football beat writer Sam Blum. You can read reactions from fans, former SU running back Prince-Tyson Gulley and former defensive lineman Wayne Williams.

So what’s next? Here are potential head coaching replacements and eight Division I coaches with ties to Syracuse Director of Athletics Mark Coyle.

Read full coverage of Shafer’s firing here.

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Katherine Sotelo | Asst. Feature Editor

Syracuse field hockey wins first women’s NCAA championship in school history

After letting a 2-0 lead slip away, it was the first career goal from a freshman that made the difference and set off a celebration more than a year in the making. Senior goalkeeper Jess Jecko made big saves down the stretch to seal the 4-2 national championship victory over North Carolina and senior captain Emma Russell left the program as maybe its best ever. And read about how head coach Ange Bradley got the national championship she’d wanted for 25 years.

Read full coverage of SU field hockey’s national championship here.

Syracuse's Martin Hehir pushes to the finish line during the ACC Cross Country Championship, Friday, Oct. 31, 2014, in Earlysville, Va. #ACCXC (Photo by Sara D. Davis, theACC.com)

Courtesy of SU Athletics

Syracuse men’s cross-country wins its first national championship

Syracuse sports hadn’t won a national championship since 2009 until this past weekend. The men’s cross-country team captured an NCAA title Saturday and the field hockey team won it all Sunday.

Read coverage of how the men’s team took home the trophy here.

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

Logan Reidsma | Photo Editor

SU men’s soccer advances to 3rd round of NCAA tournament

After side-stepping the counterattack of Dartmouth, SU men’s soccer will play in its third Sweet 16 in four years on Sunday, Nov. 29.

Read how the team beat Dartmouth and made it this far.

Tyler Roberson explodes as the Orange stays perfect on the hardwood

A usually passive Tyler Roberson became aggressive Saturday against Elon as the junior forward posted 20 points and 16 rebounds to lead Syracuse to a win in its first-round matchup in the Battle 4 Atlantis. Another key was that the team ditched the 3-pointer and started driving more to capture the win. Freshman Malachi Richardson struggled shooting behind the arc, but found other ways to score.

Here’s what we learned from SU’s narrow, 66-55 win over Elon.